At Home Competition
Final Round Judge:
Critically acclaimed by virtually every major outlet covering classical music, American opera singer Jamie Barton is increasingly recognized for how she uses her powerful instrument offstage – lifting up women, queer people, and other marginalized communities. Her lively social media presence on Instagram and Twitter serves as a hub for conversations about body positivity, diet culture, social justice issues, and LGBTQ+ rights. Jamie has recently brought her perspective to The Guilty Feminist, Slate, Studio 360, Front Row Live, The Times, Observer | The Guardian, and a cover story in Classical Music Magazine.
The At Home Competition is open to Texas High School Seniors, aged 18+.
All applicants will receive feedback from All State Singer and the finalists will also receive feedback from our distinguished professional judge!
May 1 – Application opens. Singers will complete the online application and include a YouTube link to one song which must be a Class I on the UIL PML.
May 10 – the application will close (OR when 100 applications have been made, whichever happens first.)
May 15 – Five finalists will be announced. Their videos will be posted here on AllStateSinger.com for an online audience choice round.
May 30 – The Winners of the judge’s round and the online audience round will be announced
PRIZES: Winners of both divisions will be awarded at least one $50 gift card to SheetMusicPlus.com to begin building their sheet music library. All applicants will receive feedback from All State Singer and the five finalists will also receive feedback from our final round judge.
* You will not be judged based on your recording quality, however, you should make every effort to make yourself sound and look good. Please give us lots of light and a shot of as much of your body as possible. Listen for balance between the accompaniment and your voice. Cell phone videos are fine!
* We recommend using AppCompanist to find your accompaniment. They have a FREE 30 day trial, so if you want, you can delete the app after you’ve made your video (though, we do love the app!) You can also ask your choir director for an accompaniment track as many books in their library probably come with a CD or digital tracks. If you have trouble finding your accompaniment and you have already tried AppCompanist, hit CONTACT and we will try to help.
* Dress just as you would for a competition in business casual attire.
* Slate using this or any standard formula:
My Name is [your first and last name]. Today I will sing [title of song] from [name of opera/oratorio, if applicable] by [composer]. “
For example: “My name is Natalie Cummings. Today I will sing Vedrai Carino from the opera Don Giovanni by Mozart.” or “I will sing Where the Music Comes From by Hoiby.”
Some more details:
* Applicants will have to certify that their song was recorded AT HOME between April 18 and the time of submission.
* ONLY videos with recorded accompaniment will be accepted.
* Applicants must certify that they qualified for the TSSEC competition and were unable to compete due to its cancellation.
* Applicants must consent to their video being shared online for the audience choice vote.
* The audience choice and judge’s choice winners will be different people. If the judge’s choice singer also receives the most votes, then the prize will go to the singer with the second most votes.
* Current and former Bradley Music Studio private students are ineligible.
* This competition is not affiliated with the University Interscholastic League or Texas State Solo and Ensemble Competition.